Sunday, July 22, 2012

Student Leadership University 201

Now that I'm home for about a week, I can finally breathe again! July has been so busy! Family reunion, soccer camp, and this past week... SLU 201 in Washington DC. What an extremely packed, but so rewarding week! I don't know if I have ever taken in that much learning in a week. I guess I should kind of explain this conference before I dive into the post. SLU is composed of 4 different conferences (101, 201, 301, and 401). 101 is in Orlando. 201 is in DC. 301 is in England and France, and possibly some of the surrounding countries... I can't remember. 401 is in the Holy Lands. One of their main purposes is giving students a 15 to 20 year head start on the leadership world, and I already feel like I am close to that in all the sessions on leadership they threw at us. If I posted everything I learned, people would unfollow my blog because it would be too long! It was a challenging, but amazing week. My dad went as a "school leader" for SRCS and there were about 7 of us girls. Aside from teaching specifics on how to be a good leader, they also enforce things such as modesty, table etiquette (in a fancy setting), and taking the initiative in situations.. which are all leadership qualities.

I do want to share some of the things I learned, though. However, I am looking at my 90 page workbook full of notes, and I have NO idea where to start!!!

We talked a lot about the founding fathers' impact on our country and that yes, we truly were based on Christian beliefs, despite some of Pres. Obama's latest statements. There is evidence all over DC proving it. There are so many things written in the memorials/ monuments. There are pictures of Biblical events in the capitol building. Dr. Richard Land was one of our speakers and he reminded me oh so much of my grandpa. A conservative, believing citizen. He was brilliant on all things America and leadership. One of our discussions were, "Will God bless America?" We used 2 Chronicles 7:14:

          "If my people, who are called by My Name, shall humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways; then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." That just about sums that up.

The next part I'm going to share about was from a session on debriefing what we saw at the Holocaust Museum... it was depressing. We talked about abortions in relation to it because the question was raised, "Can the Holocaust happen again?"

Since 1973, 1/3 of the babies conceived have been aborted. That would mean 53 million babies. That is more than the amount of any casualties we have suffered in war for America. You cannot have quality of life (that so many Americans say they want) without first having life.
  • Have we killed the cure for cancer?
  • Have we killed the next Abraham Lincoln?
  • Have we killed the next bold evangelist?
Then, we talked about health care law. haha, that is depressing as well. There is a British guy who has assisted Pres. Obama and this is what the British health care says:
After the elderly reach 59 1/2 (all of my grandparents would qualify):
  • no more organ transplants will be available
  • no more heart surgeries will be available
  • no more stroke remedies will be given
  • no more cancer treatment will be allowed
all because, "they'll die anyways. A 15 year old's health is more important than theirs." That made me want to cry. About 3 or 4 years before my grandpa passed away, he walked into his doctor and the doc found problems with his heart. 1 or 2 days later, we were all sitting in St. Francis hospital for about a 6 hour open heart surgery to correct all 5 main arteries that were clogged. He would have had a heart attack within the week. I cherish all of my years that I had with him, especially the years after the surgery. He died at age 72 on January 25, 2011 of a heart attack, but you know what?? Life is sacred, and there are so many memories I wouldn't have if he had not been allowed to have heart surgery. And I truly would die for any member of my family. Don't tell me a young person is more important than an old person. It is written that "all men were created equal". I am 16 years old and it makes me furious, along with any adult that wants to take a stand on this, that the elderly will have limitations on their basic health. If they are living, God intends for them to be living until he calls those precious people to come home to Him. Sorry if I went off on a political spell. That's actually the first time I've ever written about government and quality of life. :) Once a country forgets God, anything is possible.

Some important leadership lessons I learned:
  • The 2nd chair can sometimes play the most important role.
  • Help your peers reach their capacity.
  • Leaders are readers.
  • Tell on your sins (to God) or they will tell on you.
  • Those who take the time to initiate are the least likely to fail.
  • Our responsibility is to share God's truths in present day language.
  • God loves you as you are, but also loves you too much to let you stay the same.
  • Be convinced in your own mind.
  • Militantly refuse to be shallow. Grace demands more.
  • The attitude of Christ leads to service, community, and worship.
The last thing I will share for now is an acronym given by the vice president of CFA.

Gain knowledge
Reach out to others.
Open your world.
Walk towards wisdom.

Thanks for taking the time to read a fraction of what I learned! I'm sorry if it is of no interest to you, but I really think God is calling me to be more bold about sharing what I'm learning and sharing my beliefs of our most precious Heavenly Father.

Oh, and did you know that Martin Luther King Jr.'s lowest grade was in public speaking??? :)

1 comment: